Story and Craft! Yes please!!
Bringing together two activities we love!!
Reading books and making a craft or getting involved in an art project that is linked to a story is such a wonderful way to engage with children! Crafts bring the book or story alive, and the story adds meaning to the Art!
Here are more than 50 ideas that bring books and stories and crafts together!
Dr Seuss Thing 1 and Thing 2 Recycled Planters – not only do these make use of the recycling but they are super cute!
Robosauce Cardboard Robots – it is not every day that you read a book that turns into a robot!
GRUFFALO STORY PROPS made from recyclables. These are not only cute, but they also make a fabulous addition to storytelling – like puppets – Teach me Mommy
This Child Made Story Box – including a wooden peg doll tutorial is absolutely beautiful!
- Try making this gorgeous Mr McGregor’s Garden activity and play. The perfect accompaniment to The Tale of Peter Rabbit!
- Roberto the Insect Architect is a book title you have to smile at! These recycled architectural masterpieces are such a clever building craft for children!
- The Quilt Makers Gift inspires this activity that is both fun and educational – a perfect way to introduce geometry and angles – and pretty patterns!
- Frederick is the cutest mouse around, and this ROCK CRAFT IDEA allows children to paint or draw onto an interesting medium and they can put their creations back into the garden! Sunny Day Family
- Charlottes Web inspired ABOUT ME SPIDER CRAFT is such a clever way to bring creativity into a discussion about identity or positive self-esteem attributes!
- SMALL WORLD CRAFT & PLAY based on Where the Wild Things are. Homemade toys are fun to make and somehow seem to capture the imagination beyond any store-bought alternatives!
- Each Orange had 8 slices Activity Sheet Printables. This book is that it is fun to read and also encourages thinking, problem-solving, and discussion with your kids!
- The Three Brothers Story and Craft – this is for all those Harry Potter Fans – you will love this – especially if you love glitter!
- You can download the free printables or make your own Giraffe and a Half Rhyming Kit – great story props!
- Harry the Dirty Dog Coloring Activity – this is so much fun as you get to make Harry Dirty – again and again, and again! Includes a free Harry printable.
- We love crafts made from recycled materials – and this Commotion in the Ocean Octopus Craft is fantastic – and cute as ever!
- Where is the Green Sheep? This book makes for a perfect green sheep craft – that includes a free sheep printable and lots of shaking shaking shaking!!
- Katy No Pocket is the inspiration for this Kangaroo Flower Pot Holder Craft – really cute!!
- This sweet little lady has a house with six rooms. The book begins with all rooms being empty. They slowly fill up with interesting characters, and as each person fills an empty room a fraction is shown to represent the number of rooms filled – make your own Full House!
- Little Hands make the perfect Roses! Make this adorable Little Rose Handprint Craft – a simple and sweet idea – perfect for Mother’s Day!
- Make your Own brightly colored fish – The beauty of the book, Fish Eyes, is that it introduces several concepts without children even knowing it!
- Swatch is a girl who loves color – and this book is the perfect invitation TO GO WILD WITH COLOR!
- Lost and Found Small World play – including a tutorial on how to make a penguin, umbrella, boat, an oar, a sailor, and the south pole – including a clever idea for icebergs!
- Rainbow Dragon Craft Puppet – this one even blows fire! Includes a link to free Dragon Printable!
- I wish that I had Duck Feet by Dr Seuss is a wonderful story about loving yourself just the way you are! Try Painting your Own Duck Feet with this fun walking – painting craft! This is sure to bring smiles!
- Hooray for Fish – and Hooray for a wonderfully bright and colorful fish art activity made using chalk markers!
Looking for more storybook ideas that have a wonderful craft idea with it?
Here are some Dr. Seuss crafts inspired by his books
Stick Man is one of our absolute favorite stories! Here are some wonderful Stick Man ideas…
Specifically after Christmas Book ideas? Here are 30 wonderfully Merry craft ideas!