Wow, these doily Easter eggs turned out really well! I love the colors and I love the way the doily looks like lace!
My kids loved the way the paint went on a journey through the lacy bits and as with all watercolor and waxy pastels or crayons, the drawn details in the center turned out perfectly!
Doily Easter eggs materials:
- Egg-shaped doilies. You could in principle buy any shape and cut them into Easter egg shapes.
- Liquid watercolor paints. Here is a link to a fast and cheap way to make your own, perfect for this kind of thing!
- If you would like to add detail to the center like we did you will need oil pastels or wax crayons.
- Cardboard or cardstock to stick the painted doily onto. We used yellow, green, and light blue.
- Glue stick or similar.
How to make your own doily eggs:
- The first thing I did was trace around the doily onto the cardboard and cut out the 3 egg backings.
- Then we drew the center details with our oil pastels onto the oval shaped doily.
- We then painted the watercolors onto the doilies, being especially careful in the lacy bits.
- Once the doilies were dry, I stuck them onto the cardboard eggs.
Beautiful and simple!
I used cardboard backings to reinforce the eggs and give another bit of color, however you could choose to leave them just as they are and hang them in the window! They would make beautiful sun catchers full of color!