Create your own city on the hills! This is a super idea for kids ages 5+, and they love it!
The hills give you a fantastic starting point to draw each ‘neighborhood’ on its own hill, easily creating perspective. It is easy to explain and it is really fun to do.
Children take great care when thinking about what goes onto each hill, they appreciate the idea that each hill can look different. We had a hill for the castle, the farm, the church, and a hill called New York – because that is where the tall buildings are!
You could absolutely theme each hill or each small world. You could do an African theme, where you see animals too!!
You could create cities, or farms.
You can go with the Grinch and make a Christmas themed city!
What do you need to create your own small world city on the hills?
- Paper. If you are going to use watercolor paint as we did, then you need watercolor paper.
- A permanent black marker. TIP: make sure it is a permanent one, other black markers will run when you color them in.
- Paint – we used liquid watercolours OR markers
Step by step: How to create your own small wold.
- With a black marker, create the hills
- Onto each hill add your choice of houses or farms or road… there can be trees and flowers and people too!
- Once you have finished drawing, you can color your creation in!
- Make sure to choose a different color for each hill, so they stand out from each other.
- You can add texture or patterns to the hills if you like.
There are so many wonderful options to explore with this wonderful small world art project!
We have also printed a city with blocks before, inspired by Castle and Sun by Paul Klee. Read full post here…