Making this smoothie in the morning is sure to add sunshine to your day! Having grown up in a tropical climate, fruits like passion fruit – or granadilla as we call them in South Africa are part of everyday life. Not so much the case in my Europen home today!
It, therefore, pleases me greatly to taste a little bit of sunshine first thing in the morning!
This recipe contains 5 easy to find ingredients, can be prepared ahead and is packed full of goodness!
Passion fruit is a low GI, high fibre, rich source of vitamin C. Mangoes contain prebiotic dietary fibre, they are a great vitamin C source, and lower cholesterol. Bananas contain vitamin C, potassium, magnesium… need I say more! PACKED with goodness!!
TIPS to a good smoothie:
- I like my smoothie cold, which means that the more frozen the ingredients are the better. If however, you prefer warm just substitute the frozen – or some of them – for fresh.
- In this smoothie, I add yogurt or an oat or soy yogurt substitute. You choose according to your own preferences and dietary requirements.
- Depending on your choice of yogurt you may need to thin it down with a little water. A smoothie should be thick – but pourable.
- I have included lime juice to give the smoothie a further kick! It’s optional. I used 1 frozen ice block. When my limes start to look like they need to be used I squeeze the juice and pour it into an ice tray! Makes the perfect measure for a glass of iced water – with lime!!
- When you start blending the smoothie, start slow. Once everything is combined you can increase the speed. This helps the blending machine blades, and it reduces the number of air bubbles!
- 1/2 banana – can be frozen
- 1/2 cup frozen mango
- 1 passion fruit
- 1/2 cup greek yoghurt or plant-based alternative
- a little water if needed
- squirt lime juice – I used 1 frozen lime ice block
Suggested Kitchen Equipment:
- Add all your ingredients to your blender and blend until smooth.
- If the smoothie is too thick, add a little water – a Tbsp at a time until the perfect consistency is reached.
- If you would like to prepare the ingredients ahead for a quick dump and blend morning breakfast, then add the banana, (chopped) mango and passion fruit to a freezer-safe storage container and in the morning add the yoghurt. 1 min you’re done!
And there you have it! A wonderfully creamy healthy smoothie.
Sunshine in a glass!!