This Play Dough really is Magic!
It is so easy (and cheap) to make, and it lasts for months!
Our famous apple pie play dough is made from exactly the same recipe – and we used this for ages!
When made this play dough is soft and silky! A little more sticky than our Best Play Dough in the world, but really worth making some for a change!
Magic Play Dough Ingredients:
This makes a big ball…
- 2 cups baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- 1 cup corn flour (corn starch / mazina)
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 Table Spoon Vegetable Oil
- Food coloring – we used green, red, yellow and purple. If you have no food coloring this is a good option to buy – to get you started!
How to Make Magic Play Dough:
- Add all the ingredients to a pot.
- Stir well before cooking. The corn flour will initially be hard to stir, but it will all come together and turn into a runny liquid.
- Put it onto the stove and cook until it turns into a thick mush – and becomes really hard to stir.
- It will still be a little more sticky than the play dough will end up once it is cooled and kneaded.
- Set aside for a few minutes and knead when cool enough to touch.
- Split it into as many colors as you would like and knead in the food coloring.
A tiny tiny amount of food coloring goes a long way – I usually add one or two drops. If you are working with gel food coloring then stick a knife point into the food coloring and go from there. Adjust the color to preference!
If you are going to make only one color, add the food coloring to the water before you start cooking – it is so much easier this way – rather than kneading in at the end!
If you are going to make more than one color, make white play dough and then at the end knead in the food coloring.
All that is left now is to play!
Play Dough Away!
Looking for more Play Dough Ideas?
Oranges and Lemons – Scented Dough
No Cook Disney Frozen Dough
Kool Aid Strawberries and Lime
Cinnamon Scented No Tartar Dough
What about Play Dough Activities?
Christmas Invitation to Play Dough
Monsters and Pasta and Play Dough