This is a great recipe!
We experiment with lots and lots of play dough at our house and I am always adding in something new or doing something different, and every now and then it works!! This one works!!
It is very similar to our ‘best play dough in the world‘ recipe – in terms of ingredients – except that you do not cook it.
What do you need for a ball…
2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup salt (normal fine table salt)
2 Tbsp cream of tartar
2 Tbsp vegetable oil (sunflower)
1 cup of boiling water + another 1/2 a cup to add in little bits…
food coloring – optional
1 tsp glycerine – optional. This adds more shine and silky feel!
Orange and Lemon (or citrus) essence (optional)
1. Add all the dry ingredients together and stir (flour, salt and cream of tartar)
2. If you are going to add color to the play dough, add the food coloring to the cup of boiling water – first – as this will make for evenly spread color (instead of kneading it in later.) You need more coloring than you think – this red glass above is the orange color – as it dilutes when mixed… I use Wilton Gel Color for the best results – as the color is concentrated and comes up real bright – but of course any food coloring will do!
3. Add the first cup of water to the dry ingredients along with the oil and give it a stir. If you want to add the optional glycerin – now is the time. This really is an optional ingredient! I also added orange and citrus oils to my dough – as I wanted a smell – but this too is completely optional.
4. Add the remaining 1/2 cup boiling water now, a little at a time until all the flour is absorbed. I usually use almost all the water…
5. Wait for it to cool to warm and knead like bread.