HOMEMADE Play Dough is the best!
We go through so much play dough at our house! The kids love it – we theme and style it to make it new and interesting for any time of year – and it really is easy to make – and cheap!!
I also like making my own Play Dough as I know exactly what is in it!
Most play dough I make is completely edible – as in you can eat it – you won’t want to – but you could, it is non- toxic.
Winter Time, approaching Christmas!! Time for some Homemade Peppermint Play Dough!
Ingredients for No Cook Peppermint Christmas Play Dough
- This makes one biggish ball.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 cup table salt
- 2 Tbsp Cream of Tartar
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil – I used Sunflower Oil
- 1 cup of boiling water + another 1/2 a cup to add in little bits…
- food coloring – optional – I used green – Wilton or MCCORMICK
- 1 tsp Glycerin – this really is optional – but does make the play dough a little more silky
- Peppermint Oil – a few drops
- Add all the dry ingredients (flour, salt and cream of tartar) together and stir.
- If you are going to add color to the play dough, add the food coloring to the cup of boiling water first…
- I made two different greens from one ball – so I added a little food coloring to all the play dough – and then at the end, once made, I split the ball into 2 parts and added a little more green to one of them!
- Add the first cup of water to the dry ingredients along with the oil and give it a stir. If you want to add the optional glycerin – now is the time. This really is an optional ingredient!
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup boiling water now, a little at a time until all the flour is absorbed. I usually use almost all the water…
- Wait for it to cool to warm and knead like bread.
- I added in the peppermint oil as I was kneading it – I added about 10 drops – up to you to decide how strong you want it.
All set to go!
The room – and your hands smell wonderful!!