My Kids love Play Dough!
I make play dough all the time and we use it to create and bake and sculpt and roll and shape and print and build and squish…
I am always trying to try something different – shades and colors and scents and this No Cook Pink Ombre Play Dough is no exception!!
- This makes one biggish ball – just bigger than a tennis ball…
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 cup table salt
- 2 Tbsp Cream of Tartar
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil – I used Sunflower Oil
- 1 cup of boiling water + another 1/2 a cup to add in little bits…
- food coloring – I used this red gel
- 1 tsp glycerine – optional. This adds more shine and silky feel! I always use this one
- Rose Scented Oil – just a few drops
How to make Ombre Play Dough
First you need to make a ball of white play dough.
We used this no cook one. If you would like a play dough that involves a little cooking – but lasts for literally 6 months in the fridge then try our ‘Best Play Dough in the World’ Recipe.
- Add all the dry ingredients (flour, salt and cream of tartar) together and stir.
- Add the first cup of boiling water to the dry ingredients along with the oil and give it a stir. If you want to add the optional glycerin – now is the time. This really is an optional ingredient!
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup boiling water now, a little at a time until all the flour is absorbed. I usually use almost all the water…
- It should look like a squidgy ball – above..
- Wait for it to cool to warm and knead like bread.
- Don’t wait to long as it will dry out, just until you can handle it.
- I added the Rose oil to the mixture at this point – as I was kneading it! My hands smelt great.
- I used about 5 drops of oil – most essential oils are highly concentrated!
- You can add any scent you prefer – or leave it out completely…
- You play dough should now look like a smooth ball!
- At this point it is time to add the color!
- I wanted 3 shades of pink – so I used small amounts of red food coloring…
- Roll your play dough into a sausage and divide into bits – the same as the number of shades you want to make…
I wanted 3 shades.
I squashed them back into balls and to each ball I added a small drop (toothpick wipe) of food coloring…
1 for the first, 2 for the second and 3 for the third!
I then kneaded them all together to make this lovely play dough – in 3 shades.
All smelling wonderfully like a Rose garden!
This no cook play dough will keep for weeks and weeks in the fridge!
Make sure that after you are finished playing with it, you pop it into a zip lock bag, or cling film and then stick it into the fridge!