These cardboard tube cacti are just the best craft if you are looking for something fun to do with all those cardboard tubes!
It always makes me smile when I think of just how many beautiful creations have been made with recycled materials! Who knew that the simple toilet roll has so much art in it!!
Supplies to make your own cardboard tube cacti;
*There are affiliate links in this article which means, at no additional cost to you, we may receive compensation for our recommendations…
- Cardboard tubes. We used both long and short ones.
- Paint. We used acrylic paint like this.
- Glue. We used our glue gun.
- Marker or pencil to add additional texture or stripes.
- First, cut out your cacti. I used tall and short cardboard tubes.
- I left a ring at the base – this is there to help the cactus stand up straight.
- I also cut out a few little hearts to make flowers with. I used the off-cuts from the tubes.
- Once everything is cut out it’s time to get painting.
- I mixed dark and light / bright green paint to give the cacti a 3D effect. It looks more exciting than a flat color. If you only have one green it is no problem. Mix some white, yellow, or blue into the green and it will tint it a different color.
- Once the paint is dry you can stick it all together.
- I use a glue gun as it dries pretty much instantly. Any glue will do!
- At the end you can add the flowers onto the tops of your cacti.
- Additional lines and stripes and texture you can make with a marker or pencil.
I added a few red hearts into the background. These are completely optional of course. Just felt like everything needed some extra love!! I painted them red!
Here are a few more craft ideas using a recycled cardboard tube;
- Flower printing, easy and fun. Great idea for younger children
- Sunflower stamp made using cardboard tubes. We loved how these turned out!
- Springtime blooms – this is unbelievable!
- Beautiful flower art with printed flower stamps.
- Toddler activity – easy cardboard tube stamping process art activity.
Like summer themed ideas? We have a dedicated SUMMER INSTAGRAM BOARD!