I love how these salt dough Christmas baubles have turned out! So easy to make and just wow!!!
I wanted to make a salt dough surface big enough to paint onto. I have gigantic cookie cutters, so I made these circles and then turned them into big painted Christmas tree scenes.
Salt dough is our favorite go-to when it comes to Christmas ornaments. Air-dry clay is also a winner – it not only dries and never goes soggy, but it also drys light in weight, meaning you don’t end up hanging heavy decorations onto the tree.
Supplies to make your own salt dough Christmas baubles
- Salt dough or air-dry clay. Salt dough recipe including instructions to make, dry, and keep forever – can be found here. If you want to get some air-dry clay, we use this one (amazon affiliate link)…
- Cookie cutters or a template to use to cut out your shape. We used big round cookie cutters.
- Acrylic paint. This is the paint to use if you are painting onto salt dough.
- A sealer to ensure that your salt dough Christmas baubles last! Use Mod Podge or something like this…
- String or twine and beads to hang your bauble onto. We used a brown leathery string and wooden beads.
How to make your Christmas baubles:
First you need to make your salt dough baubles and let them dry. Follow all the instructions here…
Once your ornaments are completely dry, paint your Christmas scenes. We painted two different versions of winter trees, but there are so many wonderful ideas out there! Kids will love to paint snowmen or decorated Christmas trees.
Once your paint is completely dry coat your ornaments with a sealer or acrylic spray. This will ensure that they last!
Once that is dry you can add string or twine to hang them up. We added some wooden beads – with a knot between each one.
Here are some other salt dough ornament ideas I think you will like:
- Love you to the moon and back. A wonderful little ornament inspired by the book Guess how much I love you?
- Salt dough and Christmas spice ornaments, the perfect smelling idea!!
- Fingerprint salt dough Christmas trees. Cute little keepsake!
Follow us on Pinterest for more wonderful ideas – updated daily!
We have a Christmas board on Pinterest.