Can anyone have to much sparkly?
We think not!! That is why we have made these wonderful Salt Dough Snowflakes – and covered them in glitter!!
The good news is that while the process is a little glittery, once they are finished and sealed not a single glitter flake comes off!! And we did enjoy making these!!
Salt dough is a great medium to work with! It is soft and easy to shape, you can dry it and keep it forever! It is like play dough clay.
TIP: I always put out a warning that salt dough absorbs moisture, so if you want it to keep through this Christmas and next you need to seal your finished item.
Here is the link to our Salt Dough Play Dough Recipe…
To make sparkly salt dough snowflake decorations you need:
- Salt Dough
- Silver Glitter
- Clear Glue
- Sealant Spray
- Snowflake cookie cutter / or template
- String / Cotton / Ribbon to hang
- Rolling Pin + Wax Paper
- Baking Tray if you are going to dry them in the oven!
Once everything is assembled and your salt dough is made, you can get to work on creating these wonderful Christmas decorations!
How we made our snowflakes:
- Roll out your salt dough – to about 1 cm/0.4′
- Using a snowflake cookie cutter or template, cut as many snowflakes as you can
- Transfer them to wax paper and cut holes into the top to hang
- I usually make circular holes with a straw… this is a photo from our name ornaments, but it shows the process
- Air dry or dry in the oven (as per recipe instructions)
- When they are completely dry cover the top surface with clear glue – a thin but complete layer
- Sprinkle glitter onto the snowflake until the surface is completely covered
- Leave overnight for the glue to dry
- Spray your ornament front and back with the spray sealer – this keeps the glitter on and the salt dough hard!
- Once the sealant is dry add your cotton to hang
And there you have it, beautiful – LOTS OF SPARKLE – snowflake ornaments!
We love making Christmas Ornaments, and the kids enjoy it too! They love seeing their ornaments hanging on the tree – it makes the tree extra special! Other Christmas Ornament Ideas:
- Fingerprint Christmas Trees
- Footprint Hangers
- Crayon Christmas Balls
- Jingle Bells
- Salt Dough Christmas Trees
- Love you to the Moon Hangers
We are thrilled to be part of this years Kid Made Christmas Decoration Series – Hosted by Crafty Mama in Me. If you are looking for more ornament inspiration then hop on over and take a peek at the other ideas!
Pin & Share these snowflakes for later: